The APLE Program
The Assumption Program of Loans for Education (APLE)
Student Loan Forgiveness Amounts:
California's APLE program forgives up to $11,000 for four years of teaching. Teaching must be full-time and with no breaks in service.
An additional $8,000 of teacher loan forgiveness is available for the following teachers:
- An additional $1,000 per year ($4,000 max) for teaching special education, science, and math.
- An increase from $1,000 to $2,000 per year ($8,000 max) if the school is in the bottom 20% of California's API score.
Must be at a public K-12 school deemed eligible by the California Student Aid Commission.
Eligible schools will include:
- Schools with high concentration of low-income students.
- Schools with low API scores (bottom 50%).
- Schools with the highest levels of emergency credentialed teachers.
- Rural and Special State schools.
Eligible Subject Areas:
- Special Education
- Foreign Languages
Application Deadlines and Rules:
- Applications are submitted through each teacher's university APLE coordinator.
- Graduating teacher must complete first year of teaching within 24-36 months of graduation.
Program Website and Contact Info: