The Assumption Program of Loans for Education (APLE)
Student Loan Forgiveness Amounts:
An additional $8,000 of teacher loan forgiveness is available for the following teachers:
- An additional $1,000 per year ($4,000 max) for teaching special education, science, and math.
- An increase from $1,000 to $2,000 per year ($8,000 max) if the school is in the bottom 20% of California's API score.
Eligible schools will include:
- Schools with high concentration of low-income students.
- Schools with low API scores (bottom 50%).
- Schools with the highest levels of emergency credentialed teachers.
- Rural and Special State schools.
Eligible Subject Areas:
- Special Education
- Foreign Languages
Application Deadlines and Rules:
- Applications are submitted through each teacher's university APLE coordinator.
- Graduating teacher must complete first year of teaching within 24-36 months of graduation.
Program Website and Contact Info: